Britain may have left the European Union but that does not mean that we have left Europe or that we should pretend it does not exist. Keep up the speed with what is happening in the European Union through the following links:-
- European Union Official Website of the European Union
- European Parliament Website of the European Parliament
- European Parliament liason office in the United Kingdom
- European Commission Website of the European Commission
- European Commission representation in the United Kingdom
We retain our longstanding close ties with Europe by virtue of our continuing membership of the Council of Europe. The Council of Europe covers the following key areas:-
- Human Rights including the European Convention on Human Rights signed in 1950
- Democracy including the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities
- Rule of Law
Do not confuse the Council of Europe with the European Union. Find out about the differences here.
Through being a branch of European Movement in the UK, we have connections with European Movement International, the largest pan-European network of pro-European organisations. It is present in 34 countries and encompasses 38 International Associations, bringing together European civil society, business, trade unions, NGOs, political parties, local authorities and academia.
There are 54 cities and towns in Europe twinned with towns and villages in Lincolnshire. The following list includes links to the relevant town council website. Is your town listed? Does your town have an active twinning association? Do you know what twinning activities have been arranged in your area?
* Norway is in the European Economic Area